Sunday, November 14, 2010

Last words...

I was not a foreigner to blogs when I started blogging for my Issues in Publishing and Design assignment but I sure learned a lot from it.

Maintaining a personal blog was one thing but maintaining an academic blog was another thing altogether. I had to make sure all my capitalizations and punctuation was right, I had to refrain from using hyperbole, slang or getting too opinionated when posting on an issue. I had to cite and harvard reference my sources, make sure I had credible research before making a statement or making a conclusion.

I also learned many theories through readings provided by Miss Jenny, our lecturer and how to apply them, among them the importance of composition (Salience, framing and layouts) to help enhance readability. (Kress and van Leeuwen, 2006) and how images and pictures can be used to enhance the message you are trying to send. (Schriver 1997) Besides that, how different affordances can be capitalized to increase effectiveness, for example combining audio and visual elements. (Walsh 2006)

With this new knowledge, I hope to have a bright future in the Mass Communications field.

References:

Kress, G. & van Leeuwen, T. 2006, 'Chapter 1: The semiotic landscape: language and visual', Routledge, London.

Schriver, KA 1997, The interplay of words and pictures, Dynamics in document design: creating texts for readers, Wiley Computer Pub, New York, pp. 361-441.

Walsh. M. 2006, “‘Textual shift’: Examining the reading process with print, visual and multimodal texts”, Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, Vol. 29, No. 1, p.24-37

No comments:

Post a Comment